Sunday, January 20, 2008

Benched!


Note: evidence of "medically-imposed" scrabble handicap - an icy eye-covering purported to minimize irritating ocular side effects of chemotherapy drug and cheating.



First of all - in no way did I suggest that a bencher is somebody at an elementary school who benches a kid. Unless the kid is on a sports team.I was referring to a sports term, a verb:
to remove from a game or keep from participating in a game: to be benched because of poor hitting.

I quite logically assumed that one who was removed from a game would be a benchee and one who performed the removal would be a bencher - therefore, if there were a number of people performing this function, such as rabid neighborhood soccer-basketball-baseball-you-name-it parent/coaches, they would be referred to as "benchers."

I do, however, admit to a minor error since I later found (as my husband would have, had he bothered to scroll further down in dictionary.com) - that a bencher is actually the person who sits on the bench - ergo, multiple people (kids, athletes, heck - anyone!) sitting on a bench would be a group of "benchers." An error in definition, but a WORD none-the-less: a word, a noun, a plural.
  1. One that sits on a bench.
  2. Chiefly British A member of the inner or higher bar who acts as a governor of one of the Inns of Court.
  3. One, such as a magistrate, who occupies a bench.
In any case, it should be obvious that "benchers" alone could hardly put me in the outstanding lead I maintained throughout this final session. I won fair and square, the eyes seem to be holding up well and as far as cheating - where there's a will, there's a way:


Hopefully, I am now officially "benched"
from chemotherapy!!

xox
amp

No comments: